What is inner beauty? Before we know how to get it, we should know what it is.
Audrey Hepburn, towards the end of her life, revealed her inner beauty secrets. She said,
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day. People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed and redeemed. Never throw out anybody. The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows, and the beauty of a woman with passing years only grows.
Let's take her advice.
Lovely Eyes: 5 ways to seek out the good in people. This is really about how you see the world. Your internal filters and alarms and choosing to see more good than bad.
- Don't rush to judgement. First impressions aren't always everything.
- Look people in the eye. This allows you to really focus on the person without being distracted.
- Genuinely smile at people. It's easier to see the good in people when they are smiling back at you.
- Give people the benefit of the doubt. Gossip starts when you judge without all the information.
- Forgive people. Don't hold a grudge. In the end, it really is all small stuff.
Slim Figure: 5 ways to share your food with the hungry. This is really about charity and generosity. Giving more than you take. Producing more than you consume. It's hard to be ugly inside when you are helping someone else.
- Pay someone a genuine compliment. Tell them what you admire or find lovely about them. You will both feel more beautiful.
- Donate you time, talent, and treasure. Find a local charity you are passionate about and give.
- Pitch in. Clean up a mess that you didn't make. How many times have you heard, "I shouldn't have to clean/fix/repair that because so-and-so created that problem." Imagine a world where things got done simply because someone saw a mess not of their own making and cleaned it up anyway.
- Be the friend that can be counted on. Be the one that people know they can call when they need help.
- Donate to your local food bank. Actually share your food with the hungry.
Beautiful Hair: 5 ways to have beautiful hair. This is really about being comfortable with yourself and human connection. It's about being approachable.
- Be more concerned with the quality of your relationships than how you look.
- Experience the joy of letting the wind blow through your hair.
- Get a good haircut so you don't have to spend so much time on it.
- Hats can solve a lot of problems, and they look really cute on.
- Let a child, or your spouse, run his or her fingers through it once a day.
Beautiful Soul: 5 ways to a more beautiful soul. Your soul will radiate from the inside out and make your outward appearance more attractive.
- Believe in something bigger than yourself. Understand that you are part of a larger purpose.
- Strive to shift your self talk from negative to positive. Don't talk yourself down in your head.
- Keep a gratitude journal. We can all be grateful for something.
- Experience and enjoy nature. Take a walk. Arrange cut flowers. Start a garden. Walk on the beach.
- Strive to be more spiritual. Pray. Attend church. Meditate.
"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed and redeemed. Never throw out anybody." - Audrey Hepburn